Thursday 29 November 2012

Photosensitive epilepsy and the BBC

Last week I was interviewed by the BBC about living with photosensitive epilepsy. Many people mistakenly believe that if you have epilepsy, you automatically have photosensitive epilepsy - which means your seizures are triggered by flashing or flickering lights. However it's actually only every 3 in 100 people with epilepsy that have photosensitive epilepsy.

Although my epilepsy is classed as Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy, I am also photosensitive, but luckily for me, it's not very severe. I only ever really have seizures when I'm exposed to strobe lights in clubs (or when I go to see the occasional stage show - Lord of the Dance was particularly bad for strobe lights). This can cause problems (especially when I was a student), but I'm very thankful that my photosensitivity is not as bad as it could be.

To read the full BBC article, visit:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20446715

No comments: