Tuesday 2 October 2007

2 in 130

Just before I start chatting away about epilepsy related matters, I’d just like to say thanks very much to all the kind emails I’ve had recently in regards to this blog. They’ve encouraged me to keep going with this blog so thank you very much.

Anyway, back to business. Through a group organised by Epilepsy Scotland, I’ve made a friend called Dave who also has epilepsy. He has a different type than me, is on different medication and his seizures are triggered by different things, but just having a friend to chat about my worst seizure related injury with is really brilliant.

I never thought that having a friend with epilepsy would be of great consequence to me – I’ve never had a problem making friends and I chat to most people about my epilepsy so there was never a question of me being ashamed about it. However having someone dancing beside me (equally as badly) who understands completely about the strobe lights (even though Dave himself is not photosensitive) is an amazing thing. Dave is also similar to me in that he also campaigns for epilepsy awareness so that’s another thing we have in common, and can chat about.

However, although both Dave and I have epilepsy it’s not the main subject of conversation. Mainly Dave and I are too drunk to speak coherently or too busy having a dance off to talk about epilepsy. In other words, although we have it in common, it’s a friendship that isn’t based on and surrounding epilepsy. He’s also very good for coming up with good insults for exes when I’m in need of them. Although when somebody asks a question about epilepsy it’s a great thing for me to be able to say ‘well this is my experience but Dave’s might be a better example’ – I like to think of us as a tag team of epilepsy awareness. They should call us that actually.

No comments: